Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Resourcing requirements

After an uneventful and relaxing couple of weeks at home, the first day back at work in the New Year was greeted with enthusiasm. I was genuinely looking forward to going back to work today, although the start was delayed somewhat.

On New Year's eve, I took the car down to a local hand wash place, and while doing the interior someone managed to dislodge the rear-view mirror from it's mounting, or rather dislodge the mounting from the windscreen. With no time left to do anything about it before this morning, I dropped into my friendly neighbourhood dealership to see if they could help.

Nope. You see the windscreens come with the mirror attachment bonded to the glass, and they have no way of re-attaching it. But they could sell me a replacement windscreen.

Oh, how I laughed!

Next stop was Autoglass. Their staff was eager to help, and in just a few minutes had the mirror bonded back in place again; and didn't charge me a penny. Thanks again.

I still managed to get into the office by 9:30, though. and started the one process we most dread on returning from holidays - clearing out the Inbox. One hundred and seven e-mails later, I was able to get some real work done.

In my absence the boss has done some high-level resource planning - numbers only - and calculated that, at peak periods, we will need 30 people working full-time on this. I now need to turn the numbers into names, get the requests in, get the people on board, briefed and give them some work to do. First task is to get an application design completed by the end of the month.

To say this project is challenging would be an understatement. But I wouldn't want it any other way.

Tomorrow I have my year-end appraisal interview.

No comments: