Saturday, December 16, 2006

Management blogging community - tagged.

When I hear the words 'tagging' or 'tags', I think about the tags added to the search strings in web pages for tracking the success of online marketing campaigns. I hadn't considered the childhood game of tag, until I read Wayne Turmel's post about the blogging equivalent.

I'm 'IT' apparently.

Well, here are 5 things about me that few people know:

1) Despite leading a very active life as a child (jumping off the garage roof, riding bikes with no hands, etc), I have never broken a bone, nor have I ever spent a night in hospital. The worst injury I have ever sustained required 6 stitches, the result of catching my ankle on a broken milk bottle at the age of about 11. Let's hope my luck continues, eh?

2) I was once a member of Toastmasters, the best club in the world for helping people with their public speaking, thinking and listening skills. I achieved Competent Toastmaster status, but still have unfinished business there.

3) Apart from my current location in greater London, I have also worked in Johannesburg, Lisbon, Minneapolis/St Paul, and Dallas, TX. And turned down a job in Hong Kong.

4) I served 2 years in the military. After basic training, I was posted to a medical depot in Namibia as a storeman/driver/computer operator, and was promoted to the best rank in the army - lance corporal.

5) I enjoy shooting. I was once lucky enough to sample a Lee Enfield 0.303 calibre rifle, modified for Bisley competition. Putting 6 shots in a man-shaped piece of paper 600 yards away takes a lot of skill, and is an awesome feeling.
I used to own a handgun and enjoyed going to a shooting range every couple of weeks (when I could afford the ammunition), but got rid of it when I realised that it was more likely that someone would get accidentally shot, or I would shoot someone I was not legally entitled to shoot. So I sold it.

There you go Wayne.

No comments: