Saturday, January 26, 2008

Lessons learned

I learned a couple of valuable lessons from project Condor and my time at my last company:

It's not enough to sit back and do just enough to get by. You need to exercise your authority, take charge of the situation and generate confidence in other people's minds (your team's, your peer's and your bosses') that you are fully in control.
I need to have a team around me to be fully effective. My last project involved a third-party supplier up North, a business team in the West Country, and an Infrastructure team in London and Edinburgh (more about this another time, perhaps). I never felt fully in control of the project in that there was nothing I could do when things went wrong.

From now, though, things will be different. Very different!

No comments: