Saturday, September 23, 2006

Mobile phone 'scam'

"Hi, I'm calling from [mumble mumble]. We're an authorised Orange dealer, and we would like to offer you an upgrade."

Now, I wasn't aware that I was due for an upgrade, but was nonetheless glad, as my current phone has a slight buzz to it sometimes, like the speaker has worked loose and there's a bit of vibration coming through. So I said, fine, send me the paperwork.

A few days later, I received a follow-up call. Since the screen said "withheld", it could have come from my own building, so I answered. When the same lovely ladies voice said my name, I told her I was in a meeting and could she call back.

Since then nothing.

Except my phone now says "Limited Service", which I suppose means I can call the emergency services, but not even my service providers customer service department.

Now, having no means of mobile communications while commuting into London for a week is no joke. I was reduced to using pay phones from the station - "Hi, honey, can you meet me at the bottom of the hill in ten minutes?"

Having gone into my local shop, I have discovered that this fly-by-night company has not only got actual authority from my service provider to contact me, but they have indeed already upgraded my phone and de-activated my current SIM card. Nice. So I called them to complain.

"Sorry, sir, but it's been more than 7 days since the contract was upgraded and there's nothing we can do. You phone was delived to you, but no-one was home, so it is now at the local post office depot awaiting collection." Whaaaat? Now, I know I have not seen one of those lovely little Royal Mail calling cards recently, so how the hell should I know that a new phone was supposedly delivered?

I am insisting that they cancel the contract and reinstate my old service. This is just not the way to do business! Their email address is a hotmail account - I kid you not!

I am already gathering details of all the people I can complain to if this is not resolved in the next couple of days. If anyone else has any similar experience with this sort of thing I would be grateful for any advice.

No comments: