Friday, November 03, 2006

Appraisal time again.

Am I the only person who finds the process of self-appraisal very difficult?

It is, of course, that time of year again, and we are being asked to complete our self-appraisal forms, as well as for those we are assessing.

In my case, I had a load of people to do mid-year, but most of them do not seem to have asked me again at the end of the year - a sign I don't do it well? Anyway, I also have the time available at the moment to give it a good go. The only problem is that, having spent the last ten years as a contractor, I am out of practice at this self-appraisal thing.

There are two reasons I find this process difficult:

  1. I find it difficult to 'blow my own trumpet', even though I know it's a very necessary part of managing my own career. Where do you draw the line between just-doing-my-job and going-above-and-beyond? At my grade, I am supposed to be doing things I am not getting the opportunity to do, and I do not believe I am doing anything special.
  2. There is a sizeable part of me that thinks this will have absolutely no bearing on the size of my increase (assuming any of us get one) or my bonus, nor will it alter my chances of a promotion, nor my chances of getting assigned to juicy jobs.

So, despite reading the best advice on the subject I can find, I still find it difficult.

No comments: