Friday, November 03, 2006

Meetings - last one in

Further to my last post on punctuality at meetings, I thought I'd let you know about something I am trialling in this team.

The weekly team meetings we have are not project-related, but programme. They are attended by the Programme Manager (my direct boss), three other PMs who report to him, plus a couple of senior techies.

Every meeting starts late! Every week, someone is either talking on the phone or MIA when the meeting is due to start. Last week, I suggested that the last person to arrive buy some nibbles (biscuits, donuts, cake, whatever) for the following week's meeting. The boss loved the idea (despite the fact that he's no less guilty than anyone else) and offered to buy the first round.

I'll let you know how it goes.


Yesterday, with one of our PMs off ill, we were supposed to have a shorter meeting, with a longer resourcing discussion today. Again we started late (and NH will be getting in the nibbles next week), but the meeting still lasted 90 minutes! The majority of the time was taken up by arguing over what to do about a perceived slide in software quality control. That will be the subject of a later post, but my point is that the boss, who is supposed to be chairing and therefore controlling the meeting, was getting embroiled in heated discussions that actually were best handled in a separate workshop in a more structured manner.

I think I should give him some feedack, so I will be brushing up on how best to do that here and suggesting that he listen to this.

No comments: