Friday, November 03, 2006

Bullying in the workplace

This article in Management Issues quotes that "one fifth of all employees in the UK claim to have experienced some form of bullying over the last two years".
As far as I can remember, the only incident of bullying I can ever remember happened last year.

Three members of my project team (Pete, Anna and Mike) were working in another building, and apparently Mike had promoted to the Test environment a program with an inherent bug. The bug caused a problem in the overnight batch. The guy who was called in to support the batch that night fixed the problem, and the next morning came over to where Mike, Anna and Pete were sitting and said

"Which of you f@&%ed up my batch last night?"

Of course, they were flabbergasted and took offense. When the incident was drawn to my attention - thanks to Pete's email - I escalated the matter to my Delivery Manager, frankly not expecting very much. To my surprise and relief, I got a phone call from him a few days later to say that he had called the offender into his office and given him a lecture, and a warning that if any similar incident involving him came to light, he would be immediately dismissed.

I was at once relieved to hear that I was able to protect my team, and gratified to know that the company was not prepared to tolerate such behaviour.

No comments: