Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Condor update

In light of my last post, I have taken the trouble of avoiding updating my blog at work. And by the time I get home, my son is usually chatting with his mates via IM, and I haven’t the energy to kick him off.

Yesterday was a busy one. We held the second workshop in the Strategic Options Analysis series on Project Condor.

I must admit to feeling less than totally in control of things at the moment. I am not the most talented facilitator, so although I know what needs to happen, it appears I am not truly adept at making it happen.
In an attempt to avoid getting bogged down in details and ‘solutionising’, I have tried to impose a very top-down approach to these sessions, so I am getting a little frustrated at the relative lack of progress. Rather than everyone going away with actions, with questions to answer or functionality to research, the days between workshops are distinctly under-utilised.

We have, however, driven out a number of possible tactical solutions, which we can now go and investigate in more detail, and we have a list of next steps on the strategic solution, the first of which is to explode the high-level diagram to get an idea of the details involved. We can then discuss whether we build or buy individual components, and what platform they belong on.

It’s funny, but the less work I have to do, the more likely that things don’t get done. I am just more effective when I am really busy.

No comments: