Thursday, August 17, 2006

Under-performing staff?

Just as I was about to finish up and go home this afternoon....

"I just thought I'd let you know: I'm concerned that Dave is not pulling his weight."

"Oh?" I asked.

"Yes, I gave him a list of tasks and he's been working on the wrong things."

"I see," I replied.

Well, that's the reader's digest version. The unabridged version would take too long to relate, but suffice to say that since S is away tomorrow - at the Test match no less - he has made sure that he has covered his backside in case something goes wrong while he's away.

I fully intend to verify his allegation by talking to both Dave and the Technical Lead on the project, and I will reserve judgement until I know more.

It occurred to me, though, that it's tempting in a way to exercise my new-found (albeit strictly temporary) authority, and act first and ask questions later. The thought did occur to me in fact during our conversation that I should tell Dave his priorities and tell him to straighten up or else.

That thought lasted about 0.53 of a second, though. The chances of any action on my part being effective at that stage were virtually nil; the chances of it backfiring or making the situation worse were much greater.

After thinking about it on the way home, I suspect that S - the managerial newbie I mentioned before - is the victim of a simple case of not-entirely-effective communication, and it can all be straightened out very simply.

At least I hope so.

No comments: