Friday, August 18, 2006

Wonderful time of the year

At last!

Finally, it's here. I have been anticipating this period for weeks now. Halfway through the summer and the roads are less busy than normal. Especially at the - some would say ridiculously – early hour I leave home in the mornings.

I am getting from door to door only about five minutes earlier, but that's not the point. At least not entirely. It's the way I can cruise more, and race less. Gaps magically open up at intersections. I slow down a little less at roundabouts, and take some corners in third gear not second. Everything becomes a little less stressful, more relaxed.

I am getting in to the office in a more refreshed frame of mind. Of course it doesn't hurt that the entire journey is made in daylight, usually with the sun shining. In a mere few months, I will be getting to work before the sun wakes up, and leaving the office well after dark as well. Depressing. Best not to dwell on it, and reflect instead on this most wonderful time of the year.

On the subject of early starts, I AM a ‘morning person’, and I don’t need three cups of coffee before I get going. That means I can be at my desk at 7:30 and be productive in the time it takes my PC to log on to the LAN. I have always been that way, and I believe it gives me an advantage. If things are hectic, I can stay as late as anyone, cramming more hours into the day; if not, I can leave by 4:00 or 4:30 to spend some quality time with the family and still have put in an 8-hour day. Flexibility is wonderful.

No comments: